Honda Generator, Wind Generator, Gasoline Generator, Diesel Generator, Natural Gas Generator, Propane Gas Generator, Portable Generator, Standby Generator, Quiet Generator, Champion Generator

Get Generator Information, Generator Reviews and Find The Best Prices and Deals

 

 

 

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
(A Safety Advisory For All
Portable Generator Users)

Putting a Stop To The Tragedies
Typically, no one talks about (CMP) carbon monoxide poisoning… that is until tragedy strikes and then it’s usually only for a very brief moment in time.

Through the years, I’ve tracked countless such fatalities and find that many of them are due to improper use of generators. Invariably, every one of these tragic accidents and incidents could have been avoided.

If you or someone you know uses any type of generator, make sure these read this generator safety advisory. It may save their lives and the lives of others.

Portable Generators Can be Dangerous When Not Used According To Instructions
I've often asked myself, "Why doesn't my industry put forth more effort in educating consumers and the public at large about (CMP) carbon monoxide poisoning that stems from the improper use of generators?" Take note of these heartbreaking incidents.

 

In February 2009, John Stigall of Shakertown, Kentucky, a beloved businessman and chairman of the Boyle County Industrial Foundation, was found dead of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator. The couple that found him, described him as lying down near the generator.

In December 2008, Richard and Diane Desjardins of Haverhill, Massachusetts barely survived carbon monoxide poisoning. They were said to have placed their generator inside the cellar to keep their sump pump running during an ice storm.

In December 2006, five members of a Vietnamese family in Seattle, Washington, perished from (CMP). They had a generator running in the family's garage after a windstorm knocked out power to the region.

In December 2008, 49-year-old Larry Jenkins, also in Massachusetts, succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning. After the power went out in his camper, he resorted to using a portable generator.



This list seems like its never ending. Hopefully you do more than get the point.

Be proactive!

If you know anyone who owns and/or uses a portable generator, ask him or her have they taken precautions to prevent a (CMP) accident. Here are some startling facts. Did you know that most people never read their manuals unless they have a problem that are unable to resolve. This is critical because almost every manual that I've read includes warnings about (CMP) and how to avoid potential hazards.

Did you know that many of the incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning occur during power outages? Of course this stands to reason; this is when you'll find a high percentage of individuals unwittingly operating gasoline powered portable generators inside their homes or near windows or doors.

 

Heed this revelation; when portable generators are placed near windows and doors and in areas such as garages, basements, sheds and other enclosed spaces, the risk of (CMP) multiplies threefold!

Why is (CMP) so deadly? Mainly due to the fact that the gas is tasteless, colorless, odorless and is non-irritant. You can't see it. You can't smell it. You can't taste it and it doesn't cause any easily identifiable tell tale signs.

 

People who survived CMP described the symptoms they felt as being flu like, or similar to food poisoning or other common illnesses. The danger in that is, most people have a tendency to lie down when they feel sick and when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning; lying down is something you never want to do.

That's why you must heed warnings such this and take these proper precautions. First and foremost, never but never place a portable generator indoors. Not even for a few moments. It doesn't take long for the average person to be overcome with (CMP). Secondly, make sure you install a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your residence.

 

These detectors make it easy to detect (CO) in your home, mobile home, RV or other living quarters. It acts much like a fire alarm; if it detects any CO in the air, it emits a screeching beep. Thirdly, don't assume anything; read your generator manual from the front cover to the back jacket. They wrote it to protect you and make using a generator a safe and enjoyable experience.

 

Read my safety advisory for RV Generators.

 

 

 

  

 Home
 Generator Blog
 Generator Basics
 Generator Glossary
 Generator Discounts
 How Generators Are Powered
 Gas Generators
 Diesel Generators
 Propane Generators
 Natural Gas Generators
 Wind Generators
 Types of Generators
 Aerosol Generator
 Boat Generator
 Emergency Generator
 Marine Generator
 Oxygen Generator
 Ozone Generator
 Portable Generators
 PTO Generators
 Residential Generator
 RV Generators
 Standby Generators
 Trailer Mounted Generator
 Welder Generators
 Brands of Generators
 Baldor Generator
 Briggs and Stratton Generator
 Campbell Hausfeld Generator
 Caterpillar Generator
 Champion Generator
 Coleman Generator
 Cummins Diesel Generator
 DEK Generators
 DeWalt Generator
 Generac Generator
 Gillette Generator
 Guardian Generator
 Honda Generator
 Honeywell Generators
 Husqvarna Generator
 Katolight Generator
 Kawasaki Generator
 Kipor Generator
 Kohler Generator
 Kubota Generator
 Makita Generator
 McCulloch Generator
 Mitsubishi Generator
 MMD Generator
 NorthStar Generator
 Onan Generator
 Porter Cable Generator
 Pramac Generator
 Robin Subaru Generator
 Titan Generator
 Troy Bilt Generator
 Tsurumi Generator
 Winco Generator
 Yamaha Generator
 Yanmar Generator
 Generator Accessories
 Generator Articles
 Portable Generator Safety Advisory
 Automatic Transfer Switch
 Generator FAQs
 Links
 Site Map

 The Find a Generator Pros